University Of Ghana
The University of Ghana was founded in 1948 as the University College of the Gold Coast with the purpose of providing and promoting university education with higher learning and research.
The University of Ghana is the largest of the four universities in Ghana. It currently enrolls over 30,000 students for both undergraduate and postgraduate degrees.
Ghana as a country offers students a prosperous academic environment as Ghana is rapidly developing and is one of the most prosperous African Nations. The University of Ghana boasts numerous accredited courses all of which are able to grant degrees at both bachelor and postgraduate levels.
It also has campuses in various suburban areas of the country which are the learning centers for the students. Also in the university are hostels which are used for accommodating the students who wish to live in the school’s premises.
Cost of Studying In Ghana
The cost of studying in Ghana depends solely on where and what course you wish to study at the university. Averagely, one is expected to pay about 20,000 GHS and 70,000 GHS tuition fee per year for an undergraduate degree programme, and for a master’s or postgraduate degree programme, you should expect to pay between 20,000 GHS and 64,000 GHS per year.
Aside from these payment options, there may be some scholarships that are made available for international students. For accommodation, you should expect to pay about 2,500 GHS and 7,500 GHS per semester for a university hostel but accommodation outside the university hostels is likely to be higher.
Courses Offered at University of Ghana
- Medicine and Surgery
- Medical and Dental Laboratory Sciences
- Agricultural Engineering
- Biomedical Engineering
- Veterinary Medicine,
- Physical and Mathematical Sciences
- Actuarial Science
- Computer Science
- Information Technology
- Biochemistry, Cell and Molecular Biology
- Botany, Marine and Fisheries
- Business Administration
- Laws (LLB)
- Political Science
- Geography and Resource Development
- Social Work
- Theatre Arts
- Adult Education and Human Resource Studies
- Development Studies
- Migration Studies
- Population Studies
- African Studies
- Communication Studies
- International Relations
- Economic Policy Management
- Public Affairs
- Development Finance
- Engineering Geology
- Petroleum Geoscience
- Environmental Science Fisheries Science
University of Ghana Scholarships for Undergraduates
The scholarship is awarded by the University of Ghana, Legon and it is available only to Ghanaian Students studying at the undergraduate level at the University of Ghana. The award may be full or partially funded with part time job opportunities made available to the students. The application deadline for this scholarship is February 22 every year.
- Applicants must be students of Ghana nationality who are undertaking an undergraduate program in the university.
- Applicants must be enrolled as a regular student in a full-time programme of study
- Applicants must be able to show a need for financial help
- Applicants must be brilliant and also have excellent academic progress at the University.
Educational Pathways International – Scholarships
The Educational Pathways International scholarship scheme in partnership with the Students Financial Aid Office (SFAO) awards scholarships to high achievers who are from areas of need. It is awarded to students who already have admission into the university, especially year one Student. The Scholarship will cover tuition, books, accommodation, and some other expenses. It is awarded for four years as long as the scholarship holder continues to have excellent academic results.
- Applicants must be a Level 100 student and reside in an impoverished part of the country.
- Applicants are able to demonstrate limited or insufficient funds to cover most or all educational related expenses.
- Applicants must have the will to succeed and have obtained an aggregate of 11 or a better WASSCE result.
Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program
The Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program is awarded and funded by the State Department. The Gilman scholarships were designed to support students who have financial needs and may not be able to study abroad. There are over 2,300 Gilmans scholarships awarded every year, each worth as much as $5,000.
- Applicants must be enrolled at any community colleges
- Applicants must be financially in need, or disabled.
- Applicants must be studying the sciences, including engineering.
Ashesi University College MasterCard Foundation Scholarship Program
The scholarships are awarded to students from low income and families or students who generally can afford to pay for their education. There is a committee set up to revise all applications and award the scholarship to successful applicants. The scholarships are available for pursuing the undergraduate programme in any of the fields of study in the University. This scholarship covers the full tuition, accommodation and monthly stipends.
- The scholarship is open to Ghanaian students.
- Applicants must have applied and received an offer into the host university
- The scholarships are awarded to students from low-income families.
Ghana is a West African country with its vibrant and colorful environment. The Ghanaian culture is very different from that of most Western countries but would provide any international student with a unique higher education experience. The University of Ghana is a prestigious institution that is one of the top universities in Ghana and provides top-notch education and a good learning environment.
The University of Ghana offers the following scholarships for African students to study for courses at the University. Apply here for scholarships for Undergraduates, Masters & PhD